Saturday 4 September 2010

Who Said You Were A Plain Jane?


As promised, here is an interview with another fabulous person, the wonderful United States-based blogger Alannah Scott (pictured). Not only does this girl have style, she is also like a fashion encyclopedia of knowledge and her blog is always one of the first I check out for inspiration. Taking images and videos from editorials, pop culture, and shopping outlets, Alannah combines all her inspirations and truly reflects who she is, without apologises. Truly someone to take note of, so with out further a do, here is Alannah in her own words....

Name: Alannah Scott
Age: 20 years old
Occupation: Fashion Design student/ Visual Artist
What are your main passions in life?
My passion in life is to inspire other people while still inspiring myself at the same time. My passion is to create beautiful things
How important is fashion and style to you?
Fashion and I have a very love and hate relationship…Fashion in itself is cruel, and can be bias but the design and presentation aspect when it comes to fashion is what I’m in love with the freedom to express yourself visually on your body is amazing. Style to me is not so important because everyone has their own unique style but I think its plays an very important role of how people view you.
What in fashion gets you excited?
Some of the things in fashion that get me excited are the detail and back story that designers put into their collections. Because anyone can assume what the designer’s inspiration was for the collection but to actually see a mood board and how designers think (which is rarely done) is amazing and inspirational in itself.
If you had to choose 3 fashion staples what would they be?
1. A Rick Owens leather jacket, a Chanel Black lamb XL jumbo flap bag (http://tinyurl.com/2893sbp), and a pair of YSL shoes…Its so hard to narrow it down to just 3!
Who are your favourite designers?
I have way too many favorite designers! Raf Simons for Jil Sander, Ricardo Tisci for Givenchy, Marc Jacobs, Luella Bartley, The Mulleavy sisters for Rodarte, Miuccia Prada, Viktor & Rolf, Jeremy Scott, and Stefano Pilati…There are a lot of new designers out there that I should be mentioning but these are the main ones that I truly adore.
With the choice to pick anybody from any decade as a style icon who would you pick?
I would pick Andy Warhol. The genius himself
How would you describe your own style?
I would describe my style as Plain Jane (hence my blog name) I’m really into neutrals when it comes to colors; black, grays, white, tans, etc. I’m not a very stand out-ish type person. Right now I’m not really into loud prints and patterns but hey my style always changes so I’m always up for change.
Where would you say you get your style inspiration from?
I get my style inspiration from anywhere and almost anything but right now I mostly get style inspiration from old ad campaigns from the 40s-90s, like at the moment I’m really in love with old Prada and Jil Sander advertisements. I think they’re so classic and that’s the sort of style I’m into.
Do you think sometimes fashion can be restrictive in what is available to the general public?
Of course high-end fashion brands that I’ve noticed only carry certain items in certain places like in specific countries. I think it’s really sad. But now a days other budget friendly stores are knocking off high-end brands and making their own spin off of what we see on the runway and selling it for a wallet friendly cost.
Why and when did you first start to blog?
I started my blog PLANEE JANE in the summer of 2008 I basically started it because I wanted to have a place that I could store my inspiration of pictures, thoughts and ideas or whatever came to my mind. Back in 2008 blogs weren’t as exciting or as important as they are now but also I didn’t even really feel the need to share it with anyone but until one day when I thought to myself why not share the things that inspire me with other people? Present some things to my friends and also other readers that maybe they wouldn’t really be into… and from there it’s been history!
Would you recommend others to try it?
Yes I would recommend people to try blogging it’s a great way to vent and talk about the things you enjoy or network and share information. Although I do think that bloggers have killed true journalism in a way…I can go on and on about this but to make a long story short we’re living in the 21st century and technology has taken over! So there’s not much we can do!
What is next for Alannah and Planee Jane?
The next thing for me is to create a new personal blog! I’m so excited the new blog that I’m working on right now will involve more of my life and myself and more art, visual concepts, and my work. I’ve been working on the new blog for maybe a year and a half now because I want things to be perfect. I‘ve also been saving up for a high quality camera for quite some time now so hopefully 2011 I will be able debut the new site. As for Planee Jane, it will be a sweet transition into a new site my new site will be a more grown up version of PJ.
Finally, any fashion and style tips?
Style tips…hmm stay true to yourself (I know that sounds very cheesy) but through life we go through phases and our style changes as we change. But some people find themselves trying to be everything but like anyone else when really you’re a combination of everything else…stop taking things so seriously and literal and just have fun when it comes to dressing!
To find out more about Alannah Scott and Planne Jane please visit her blog http://www.planeejane.blogspot.com/ , you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment